29 March 2020
TO: All 197 Squadron Cadets, Parents, Staff and SSC
A. COVID-19 13 March – 197 Squadron COVID-19
B. CANCDTGEN 014/20 – UPDATE CCO RELATED – CANCELLATIONS AND POSTPONEMENTS FOR 2020
1. Taking into account the current situation, all cadet activities that require in-person contact have been suspended until at least April 30 2020,
2. The situation will be reassessed before April 30 2020, and further direction will be issued at that time,
3. This decision has been taken as the safety and welfare of all who participate in our program is always our top priority,
4. Our Senior Cadet team has been reaching out to all squadron members on a regular basis, and this will be expanded in the upcoming weeks,
5. As we are now in an extended period of restrictions, the training department will be rolling out a series of web-based training exercises. Expect to hear from them very soon,
6. No decision has been taken at this point regarding summer training courses,
7. I thank Cadets, Parents, Staff and the SSC of 197 squadron for your understanding and support during this uncertain time, and will keep you updated of developments and resumption of the program as soon as this has been finalized,
8. Updates will also be posted to the 197 squadron website and Facebook page as they become available,
9. Keep safe!
10. Any questions can be forwarded to me at CO@197aircadets.ca.
197 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Cadets
TO: All 197 Squadron Cadets, Parents, Staff and SSC,
1. In response to developments in the outbreak of a novel corona-virus (COVID-19), effective immediately, all cadet activities have been cancelled for the next 3 weeks.
2. The situation will be reassessed before April 3 2020, and further direction will be issues at that time.
3. This decision has been taken as the safety and welfare of all who participate in our program is always our top priority.
4. I thank Cadets, Parents, Staff and the SSC of 197 squadron for your understanding and support during this uncertain time, and will keep you updated of developments and resumption of the program as soon as this has been finalized.
5. Updates will also be posted to the 197 squadron website and Facebook page as they become available.
6. Any questions can be forwarded to me at Richard.email@example.com.
A. CATO 14-06 Training or Recreational Trips.
B. CDS TASKING ORDER FOR OPERATION LASER 20-01, 2 March 2020
C. 3000-1 (J3) NATIONAL CADET AND JUNIOR CANADIAN RANGERS SUPPORT GROUP COVID-19 DIRECTIVE – VERSION 002, 12 March 2020.
D. CANFORGEN 039/20 – NOVEL CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATE.
E. CANCDTGEN 010/20 – CANADIAN CADET ORGANIZATIONS-COVID-19.
F. CANCDTGEN 012/20 – CADET PROGRAM CANCELLATION (3 WEEKS).
To all Parents and Cadets. The 197 Air Cadet calendar is now available via subscription. The calendar contains events for the entire cadet year (Aug/Sep thru June) and will let you know what is happening and when.
Go the our site: https://197AirCadets.ca and select Calendar from the menu. You will find a new button at the top right of the page that will lead you to instructions on subscribing or downloading the 197 Air Cadet calendar, which you can use to add our calendar into your favourite calendaring app (Outlook/Google Calendar etc). Get our calendar on your phone, tablet and other devices. By subscribing to our calendar you will also receive changes to the calendar as they occur.
If you wish to subscribe to a calendar but are unsure how to go about it, please visit C.V. Davey on a Tuesday cadet meeting night and he will gladly help you.
All 197 Cadets,
Our Fall FTX (Field Training Exercise) is Oct 5th and 6th at Rockwood Conservation Area. This is a Mandatory event for all cadets.
You will need to be at the gate to Rockwood Conservation no later than 08:30 (8:30am) Saturday morning. Our FTX goes overnight and cadets will be at the main gate at 16:00 hrs (4:00pm) on Sunday for pickup by their parents.
An advance party of cadets will arrive Friday Oct 4th in the evening to help setup, a separate warning order will be issued to those cadets in the advance party.
Please download and read the following forms, and have your signed consent form with you for our next Tuesday evenings’ training: Tuesday October 1st. Review the kit list, you must bring all the items on the list.
Map to Rockwood Conservation:
Free to join and open to all young men and women ages 12 to 18 (Canadian Citizens and Landed Immigrants)
Come and see what Air Cadets is all about. Meet our staff and cadets and see if Air Cadets is right for you. This is an excellent opportunity for Canadian youth to join an organization which prides itself on excellence and which is committed to bringing out the best in our young men and women.
Learn to fly, go gliding, learn about aviation, meet new friends, go camping, fly model rockets, build up your confidence, learn to speak in front of others, learn how to be a leader. compete against other squadrons… the list goes on and on, you will experience a wide variety of interesting and fun things as a member of the cadets.
197 Air Cadets serves Acton, Rockwood and the surrounding area. General meetings are Tuesday evenings from 6:30pm to 9:15pm.
Welcome Cadets to our 2019-2020 Training year. Here is a initial calendar which provides detail from the end of August to early October. Please review it. You will find some more detail on each event in the calendar on the 197 Air Cadet website.
Aug 27 – Staff Meeting
Sept 3 – First Training Night / Returning Cadet Night
The first training night of the 2019-2020 Air Cadet training schedule. This will include the “Returning Cadet Night” for reviewing and filling in the cadet paperwork for the new training year.
Sept 5 – Flight Scholarship Starts
Sept 7/8 – Senior Development Weekend – Level 4 and Level 5’s. – Georgetown Armouries
Joint squadron development weekend with 242 and 756 Squadrons.
Sept 8 – Sunnybrook Hospital Visit with the Veterans
Sept 10 – Recruiting Night – Open House
Sept 21 – Orienteering Day – Mandatory
Sep 29 – Orienteering Competition – Albion Hills
Sep 29 – Gliding Mandatory
Oct 4 – Fall FTX – Advance Party
Oct 5/6 – Fall FTX – Mandatory
ACTON, ON. Acton resident WO2 Krishni Kulenthiran achieved a milestone in her Pilot career on July 9th by completing her first solo at Harv’s Air in Manitoba.
WO2 Kulenthiran is a member of 197 Typhoon Air Cadet squadron in Acton, and won a Power Pilot Scholarship this year to spend 7 weeks earning her pilot’s license. These scholarships are awarded through a competitive process and only awarded to the top cadets in the country.
“Your first solo is something you remember for the rest of your life. Congratulations to WO2 Kulenthiran, and best of luck in the rest of your training” said Captain Richard Dobbs, Commanding Officer of 197 Squadron.
WO2 Kulenthiran will continue training for the rest of the summer in order to earn her Private Pilot license, including passing a theory exam and a Transport Canada flight test.
“WO2 Kulenthiran is the latest of a long line of Flight Scholarship candidates from 197 Squadron, many of whom have moved on to work in the aviation industry” added Capt Dobbs